My yoga journey started as a teenager, when yoga was a “trendy” thing to do! Having gone through university and qualified as a veterinary surgeon, I re-discovered my love of yoga, and found that my yoga practice helped me cope with the stresses of work, and to find some space in my head, rather than continually thinking about my patients! Having now worked as a veterinary surgeon for 30 years, I’m convinced that my yoga, breathwork and mindfulness meditation practices have helped keep me healthy, both physically and mentally, and have helped prevent me from burnout, as well improving my sleep and helping my chronic lower back pain. Having felt the benefits of yoga for myself, I wanted to be able to share these benefits with others, and more specifically to help people with different physical and mental health conditions. My yoga journey has therefore continued to grow through teacher trainings in Ashtanga yoga, Yin yoga (which I currently teach), Yoga Nidra, Chair yoga, and Sleep Recovery yoga.
As I work in a profession with high levels of stress, anxiety, depression, chronic fatigue and burnout, I was also looking for a way I could use yoga more therapeutically to work with individuals and groups affected by these and other mental conditions, as well as a variety of physical and medical health conditions, addictive behaviours and trauma. In January 2019, I therefore started The Minded Institute’s 580 hour Diploma in Yoga Therapy, an evidence-based course that combines the principles of yoga, mindfulness, neuroscience, psychotherapeutic principles and anatomy to provide a client-centred holistic approach to mind and body wellness. I’m currently undertaking my case studies, and hope to be a fully qualified yoga therapist by the end of the year.
My qualifications include:
• 200 hours Ashtanga teacher training with John Scott yoga – August 2017
• Yoga Bodyworkers training with Jambo Truong and Brian Campbell – November 2017
• 30 hour Yin Yoga teacher training with Norman Blair -June 2018
• 25 hours Therapeutic yoga with Manju Jois – September 2018
• 40 hour Ashtanga teacher training with David Swenson – December 2018
• 32 hour Lakshmi Voelker Chair Yoga Teacher training with Liz Oppedjik – September 2020
• 10 hour training in Yoga in Supportive and Palliative Care and into Bereavement with Kate Binnie – October 2020
• 20 hours Breathing School with Ben Wolff – November 2020
• 35 hours Yoga Therapy for Insomnia and Sleep Recovery with Lisa Sanfilippo – December 2020
• 40 hour Yoga Nidra Teacher Training with Mel Cooper and Jennie Wadsten – January 2021
• 580 hour Yoga Therapy Diploma with The Minded Institute 2019-2021